Curry doesn’t have to be a treat meal. If you keep the oil to a minimum and use lots of spices and fresh herbs then it’s a tasty and nutritious mid-week meal. It’s also super easy as everything goes into the same pan. Serve with either brown rice or a naan bread.
Ingredients to serve 4:
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced
- 3 red peppers cut into chunks
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, preferably with no added salt
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garam marsala
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- Heat the oil or ghee in a large pan and fry the onions until they soften.
- Add the spices, ginger and garlic and stir for a few minutes, then add the eggplant and peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat and cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens. If it becomes too dry just some water. Taste and add more seasoning if you prefer.
- Scatter over the cilantro to serve.
Recipe from Wall Flower Girl